Yep – healthy AND creamy. This recipe is pretty quick to make, tastes fantastic and won’t hug your hips the morning after.
In other words, it’s everything you ever wanted and more from a pasta dish!
WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY:
- olive oil
- Mushrooms (1 of the trays you can get in the supermarket, or about 1 1/2 cups worth when cut into chunks)
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into strips (or sundried tomatoes)
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 c raw cashews (i.e. not salted or roasted)
- fresh basil (if that gets you going)
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan, add a few pinches of salt, then drown the pasta. Cook until al dente – i.e. it’s not dry and crunchy but it’s not complete mush. Strain and set aside with the lid on the pot to keep it cosy until the mushrooms medley’s ready.
- Heat oil in a frypan, and brown onion before adding the mushrooms and the red capsicum. Let them mingle – meanwhile make yourself a side salad.
- Get out your blender and add the cashews, 1/3 cup water, 1 Tbsp olive oil and the garlic (Note: I ALWAYS LOL when a recipe says to add just one miserable clove of garlic – and then I usually add A BULB instead – but this is raw in a sauce; trust me, you’ll taste it!) Season with salt and pepper until you get the desired taste and you can add more water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Dish up pasta –> Top with mushroom medley –> Drizzle with creamy cashew sauce –> add a couple of basil leaves –> match with a side salad.
- Smile at how impressive you are, you domestic goddess, you. 🙂